Helpful Tips for Moving
One Month Before Moving...
- Fill out change of address order form for post
- Make arrangements with moving company or
reserve a rental truck.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary
(airlines, buses, car rentals, etc).
- Ask doctors and dentists for referrals and
- Set up banking in your new city, if necessary.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they
are packed. If possible, take pictures and record serial numbers of
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
1-2 Weeks Before Moving...
- Inform bank, insurance companies, credit card
companies, newspaper, magazine subscriptions, etc., of your move and your new
- Enlist help for moving day.
- Confirm travel/truck reservations.
- Clean clothing and wrap for moving.
- Ensure you are covered with your insurance
company during your move.
On Moving Day...
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic
and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Carry important documents and valuables
- Renew driver's license and registration.
- Locate hospitals and police stations near your
- Keep boxes, marking pen, bubble wrap,
newspaper, tape measure, scissors and packing tape handy.
- Use strong boxes and containers and make sure
they are secured tightly.
- Pack any electronics in original boxes when
- Label all boxes and containers by contents,
room, and whether it is fragile.
- Avoid overloading one box.
- Use towels and blankets to cushion fragile
content instead of bubble wrap, to save room.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned before moving.
The following are some tips to help you avoid any
conflicts with movers.
- Get a binding estimate written in the contract
from the moving company.
- Be sure all charges are listed in the contract
- Inquire about their record with the Better
- Check existing renter's insurance policy to
find out what coverage you have for lost or damaged goods.
- Have the contract include a guarantee of how
many hours the job will take.
- Watch the loading and unloading and examine all
items carefully before signing anything.
- Take an inventory of all your belongings before
When you move into your rental, we recommend you
inspect the property to assure the following cleaning guidelines were met and
note any discrepancies on your move-in inspection form. On moving out, we will
assess that quality of your cleaning, and deductions from your security deposit
may result if the property is cleaned insufficiently.
- Tubs, sinks and toilets scoured
- Counters and
backsplash and floors wiped clean
shelves and drawers wiped clean inside and outside
- All appliances cleaned inside and outside
- Turn refrigerator and freezer to #3 setting (DO NOT TURN OFF)
- Counter tops and backsplash wiped clean ? Sink clean
- Dishwasher clean inside and outside
clean, inside and out and all shelves and drawers wiped out
- Stove top and drip pans clean (replace drip pans if necessary)
- Oven clean inside and out
- Carpet professionally cleaned and a receipt provided to Agent
- Floor vacuumed and damp mopped (do not use wax or chemicals)
- Washer and
dryer wiped clean inside and outside and dryer vent free of lint
- Mini blinds
dusted and drapes cleaned and window sills wiped clean
- In winter months, leave heat on 55 degrees
- In summer months, turn air conditioner to 80 degree
- Yard must be detailed and in the same good
condition as when you took possession